Tuesday 27 January 2015

Keeks who?

Welcome to my new blog, keeks seeks! I'm glad you came by for an ole read. 

My name is Ciara O'Connor and I am currently living in Cork City, Ireland. I am 22 years old and I am not sure how I feel about this fact. I decided what better time to start my own blog because I am not getting any younger! Hashtag newyearnewme and all that jazz. 

My nickname is 'keeks' and keeks seeks just had a nice ring to it and so that's how that blog name came about. I don't want to cage myself into writing about one particular topic but I do of course have a few things I am most passionate about. I will blog about my future travel plans (tips/advice etc). Although people call me a hippy, I do love an ole shlap of makeup and tan as much as the next person...probably a bit more. I even completed a make up course. I love making body scrubs and nourishing my skin and hair with the least amount of chemicals as possible. Oh and most importantly I wouldn't call myself a foodie per se but..I do love to eat. A lot.

Me after completing my make-up course
Eating in my favourite cafe, Orso, Pembroke street, Cork.

I grew up in ballincollig (mostly) and since as long as I can remember I was dreaming about travelling the world, as cheesy as it sounds. I detested school and I had no clue who I was or what I wanted to be all I knew was I wanted to get out of Ballincollig as fast as I could! And that I did. 



When I was 18 I started working in a bar in Cork city and although I knew this was not the direction I wanted my life going in, at least I had a job right? I was soon making a lot of money each week which was an accomplishment for me. I loved that feeling of being independant. I wasn't fortunate enough to have parents who could fund me through college or fund me in general so my options were pretty limited. I had to work. I continued to work in various bar jobs up until now and I really feel like I have learned a lot of valuable life lessons. The main one being I do NOT want to be a barmaid for the rest of my life haha ( not that there's anything wrong with that). I did have some great times and I made some amazing friends. I wouldn't take it back because all those jobs have made me realise more clearly what it is I want (and don't want). My plans to travel were always looming in the back of my mind but I never felt quite ready, until now.

Almost two years ago when I started my most recent job, I decided I was going to finally start planning my travels. I didn't want to work in another job watching the money disappear on pointless crap each week and feeling miserable for it. I set up a direct debit account to save a certain amount of my wages each week into my credit union account so as I couldn't drunkenly take those funds out of an ATM. Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I booked my one way flight to New Zealand. 



I am more than ready to leave Cork as much as I do love it. I need to take the risk and fulfill this urge to travel that I have had since forever. I have no idea what to expect and I don't have much plans once I get to New Zealand but what I do have are a particular set of skills..(I joke). I do know that I want to keep travelling and blog about all of the experiences that I have (with a few guest appearances from my boyfriend who is coming with me). 



I want to share my story to inspire other guys and gals who want to quit their jobs and travel. It can be done. You don't have to be rich trust me, you just have to chose whether you want those new clothes or that night out or do you want to travel? The choice is always yours. It's not always easy I won't lie, theres always going to be some excuse but you owe it yourself to put that money into your travel fund and make it happen!! 

"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will." -George Bernard Shaw

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/13556115/?claim=mugn7u5e6am">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>






2 comments:

  1. Hello Ciara. Call me Jho! Your new adventure sounds so cool. I have a few places I'd like to go. The UK, Beijing, Japan and France are my top picks at the moment. It's so cute that you're going on this adventure with your bf. I hope you both have a blast. This is proof that you have to work for what you want. :) I'm now more motivated to accomplish my goals. Thanks.

    Olive Needs Popeye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Jho! I have wanted to visit japan ever since I read the book and saw the film 'memoirs of a geisha'. It looks like such a magical place ( even though the film was set many years ago) I would love to visit. I will be posting lots about my travels to New Zealand so feel free to pop back and have a read :)

      Delete