Monday 11 May 2015

Tuesday Talk : Homesickness


So today's post is about something a little closer to home, literally! Just a little chat about feeling homesick..I'm sure it's something a lot of people either have or will experience and it's a maybe not so fun side to travel but it happens and that's just life! I've been in New Zealand now for almost two months and since I've been here I have gone through an array of different emotions. Naturally I was nervous and anxious about the unknown before I left, but also extremely excited and ready to leave.

Then upon leaving I felt hardly any sadness (I barely shed a tear while my mum was in floods- soz mummy)band even when I got here I still just felt completely buzzed. Now fast forward a few weeks and being past the 'holiday' phase I guess I feel kind of stuck in a rut. 

To be honest I don't know if I'm just a typical female who doesn't have a clue what she actually wants and just being emotional or if I am going mad (maybe a mixture of them all). Either way..it doesn't feel good. To be honest I think it all boils down to the fact that now that I am working again and everyday life must go on without exiting  adventures all the time, I'm starting to feel a little bored and restless. 

We are here, in Queenstown NZ living in a beautiful house with two other friendly housemates,with jobs..I literally have nothing to complain about but I guess where there's a will there's a way! Only joking I don't mean to moan..I'm all about positivity but from time to time we can all feel a bit down without having any other reason other than being a crazy biatch.

I made the decision to leave my home, in search for excitiment and adventure! I love it back home, but I just wanted a change of scenery for a while. I'm so fortunate that I can do this because a lot of people don't get to do this in their whole lives and I managed (even being the biggest airhead) to get myself to the other side of the world. It's just that life goes on back home, and although I knew this and I am in no way wanting to go back any time soon, I guess I just wish I could have my family and friends close by from time to time. The chit chat and greeting everyone with a smiley face gets tiring and sometimes I just want my mum to hug, my friends to get drunk with and have the banter, my dogs or my little baby niece to cuddle or my moody teenage niece to have the girly chats with. Basically to just be around people who know and understand me. I am mainly afraid of missing so much but I know that's crazy. I have had siblings who have travelled and when they returned it was like they were never gone. And I know one day I will be home and in college and back to normal life and I will be waiting for my next travel adventure, but you know we all have our off days and if you are unfortunate enough to be like me in the sense that you over analyse everything, then I truly feel for you!!

At the moment here in Queenstown the weather is pretty bad. Most days are rainy with the clouds so low you cant see any of the beautiful mountains. It's pretty f**king cold and just overall pretty gloomy. I suppose this is reason enough for anyone to feel a little glum. 
I think I am happiest when I am moving about going from one place to another, especially if these are places that happen to have sun..oh sun how I've missed you. From what I gather from work etc a lot of people are in the same boat..just going home from work and not doing anything due to money or the weather etc. 

For the meantime until the ski slopes open and we actually have something fun to do, I'm going to try keep myself occupied.  Falling into a slump is the last thing I want to do. Keeping busy is probably the best thing to do so if you are looking for ideas (and are on a budget like me) here are a few things I have been finding useful over the last week or so:

•blogging of course!
•exercising - I know it's the last thing anyone wants to do when they are feeling  fed up but it's the best thing you could do. If you can't find the motivation to go outside then do some workouts in home watching YouTube.nEven just 15/30 mins will make you feel better. Plus by the time we do see the sun we don't want no muffin tops up in here.
• Study/read - at the moment I am doing an online psychology course just to keep my brain working and for something to do! I eventually want to go back to college at home and study so this kind of keeps me focused aswell. There are so many courses online even free ones and even if they don't give you a great qualification, it's interesting and keeps your mind occupied.
•Cooking - I loooove eating out. It's one of my favourite things to do because I just don't like being cooped up in home all the time. I usually am too lazy to cook aswell haha! Since we've been in New Zealand though we haven't had the money to eat out all the time so we've been cooking a lot more. I'm actually really enjoying it and I personally like to have the music blaring while I cook up a storm!!
• listening to music - I personally use music as a sort of medication. I think it effects my mood a lot..like if I'm any way emotional I can't listen to sad song! So if I put on something upbeat or a little cray cray it always puts me in a better mood (BeyoncĂ© always works wonders)So if your sitting/lying in silence basking in your own self pity..honestly just put on some music. It will help so much :)
•Talking about it - now maybe don't scare off all your new friends or soon to be friends by saying how much you miss home and all your way cooler friends back there ( haha). I mean talk about it to people closest to you..for me it's my boyfriend because well he's here with me, but even sometimes he doesn't understand me ( being a male and all)so I would email a friend or my mum. Sometimes it's good to just get an outside perspective because your own thoughts will drive you mad. When I told my friend back home that I was having trouble making friends she just laughed and said it was basically because I'm a freak and could I not just rent some friends haha! What a friends for eh...
Moving on..
•Pamper yourself - I've been having a lot of long warm showers (mainly because it's freezing everywhere else) and making body scrubs etc. The days are very short at the moment and it's usually long dark cold evenings so even though it was just winter in Ireland..I just see it as extended preparation for the summer I hope to one day see!! Haha. 
•Taking vitamins- I try to take a cod liver oil capsule everyday along with a vitamin D or C supplement..I think for me at the moment Vitamin D is really important since I haven't been having much sun. Just basically keep yourself healthy.
• Finally , work on your hobbies - for me it's drawing. I haven't drawn in so long but I went and bought some charcoal and a sketch pad and I've been doing a lot of it since I've been here. I'm also become involved in the #ArtyProject for something to do (you can read about that in my previous post). Another thing I've been wanting to start here is yoga but again money is a big factor and things are expensive here, but I'm going to make it a priority. Tonight there's just a meditation class for $10 which is really good and I hope that will clear my mind a bit. I've also finished Orange is the new black, am totally up to date on all the Game Of Thrones and have started watching Mad Men and Friday Night Lights....so ya I've become a bit of a Netflix freak. I've never ever been big into watching shows, usually only ever watching Game of Thrones but you know, winter will do that to you!!

Anyhow I know this has been a lot of rambling but I hope this has helped even a little bit for someone who is in a similar situation!! 
<3

Finally I just want to add that one of my favourite quotes is 
'This too shall pass'
Basically meaning ...nothing last forever and everything is temporary. Happiness, sadness, life! So whatever way your feeling right now, it won't last. This crappy weather in Queenstown haha..it won't last.
I just wanted to add that in!! Hope you all enjoy the rest of your week :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment